St Mary the Virgin, Wendens Ambo
Address: St Mary the Virgin, Church Path, Wendens Ambo CB11 4JZ
Phone: 01799 542874
Are you new to the church? If so, you are very welcome!
Our church is welcoming to all for those seeking a spiritual environment to worship God, by attending services, prayer meetings, a christening, wedding or funeral or just seeking quiet contemplation.
Wendens Ambo Church is lovingly maintained by a large number of volunteers. Large rotating teams look after the churchyard maintenance, flower arranging, and cleaning. Villagers also rotate the duties of sidesperson at services, which are announced to the village regularly by our bellringers.
17th November 2019: Wendens Ambo church building is closed due to complications arising from the heating project. The Wenden congregation will be going to Littlebury Green for 9.30am Holy Communion
First Sunday Family Service
Second Sunday Holy Communion
Third Sunday Morning Prayer
Fourth Sunday Family Communion
Fifth Sunday Sung Matins with full choir
Refreshments are served after every service. We aim to povide a very warm welcome to visitors.
Our Church History
Wendens Ambo Church, formerly of Great Wenden, is dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin and is one of the most interesting churches in north-west Essex. It consists of a chancel with organ chamber, an aisled nave, a south porch and a western tower. The vestry in the western end of the south aisle, is unusually positioned.
The first church on the site was probably constructed of wood, perhaps as early as the eighth century, but no trace of it remains. It seems to have been rebuilt in stone about the time Domesday Book was written (1086 A.D.) with later additions in the 13th, 14th, 15th and 19th centuries.
The church register of Great Wenden commenced in 1540. After Volume 2, which was the register of Little Wenden until 1662, the two parishes were united as Wendens Ambo (meaning "both Wendens").
In the 19th century Lord Braybrooke gifted land and a hall neighbouring the church to enable an extension to the ancient churchyard. The hall was extensively modernised in 2007 and is managed for use by a variety of active village interest groups and activities. To find out more about our church's history click here